Another week, another weekly playlist.
I’m sorry if I missed more stuff than usual. I spent a large chunk of time watching political debates and NHL playoffs and therefore did not have as much time as usual for listening and searching for new music. Some things are more important than music. And I’m not referring to the hockey playoffs.
My lack of time might have a lot to do with it, but I didn’t come across with as much great new music as usually. Maybe all labels/artists didn’t want to compete with the RSD releases. There were some big ones though like the wonderful new Damien Jurado album. Other new albums on the playlist are from John Paul White, Conor Donohue, Shovels & Rope, Adam Carroll, Taylor Alexander, Nick Eng, The Budos Band, Nicholas Mudd and April Verch.
Most of the Finland-related section is a week or two old, because yours truly found these a little late. The really big one for me is Astral Brain. Le Futur Pompiste’s Einar Ekström lives in Stockholm these days and have started a new project with Siri Af Burén. They released a gorgeous digital single From Above / The Field Trip a week ago. Other new Finnish releases are the EPs by Eden Prairie & Kami Mate and an album from The Black Ducks of Despair. I’m sure there had to be more, so hit me up if I forgot something important.
And last but not least, the new singles. I rarely have live versions on this playlist, but I have to make an exception, because I really like this live version of In Case I Fall For You by Black Sea Dahu. Joanna Sternberg is the new find of the week for me and I really like her song. Daniel Norgren, Aldous Harding and She Keeps Bees also continue to impress with new outtakes from their forthcoming albums. Everything else would be worthy of a namedrop too, because I like all of these songs.
The next playlist might or might not be up next Sunday. There definitely will be one, because a lot of great music will be released. Like the Anna Tivel album, which is one of my most anticipated releases of the spring. Anyway, it might be delayed a day or two due to easter. Or it might not. Anyway, that’s all for now. Remember love.
OCTA Weekly Playlist Episode #37
1. Damien Jurado – The Shape of a Storm (In the Shape of a Storm, Loose Music / Mama Bird Recording Co, 2019)
2. John Paul White – Yesterday’s Love (The Hurting Kind, Single Lock Records, 2019)
3. Joanna Sternberg – This is Not Who I Want To Be (single, Team Love, 2019)
4. Astral Brain – The Field Trip (single, 2019)
5. Black Belt Eagle Scout – Loss & Relax (single, Saddle Creek, 2019)
6. Aldous Harding – Fixture Picture (single, 4AD, 2019)
7. Wand – Rio Grande (single, Drag City, 2019)
8. Daniel Norgren – Rolling Rolling Rolling (single, Superpuma Records, 2019)
9. Conor Donohue – Milk, Blood & Traffic Signs (Let Love Contaminate, 2019)
10. Shovels & Rope – Mississippi Nuthin’ (By Blood, Dualtone, 2019)
11. Black Sea Dahu – In Case I Fall For You – Live (single, 2019)
12. Adam Carroll – Caroline (I Walked In Them Shoes, 2019)
13. Taylor Alexander – I Never Ask for Nuthin’ (Good Old Fashioned Pain, Hail Mary Records, 2019)
14. Eden Prairie – Wrong Time (Ana Lucia EP, 2019)
15. Josh Ritter – All Some Kind of Dream (single, Pytheas Recordings, 2019)
16. Nick Lowe – Trombone (single, Yep Roc, 2019)
17. Nick Eng – Too Good For Anyone (Long Shot, 2019)
18. The Black Ducks of Despair – Four O Clock (Harry, 2019)
19. Kami Mate – Hopeless Daydreamers (Kami Mate EP, 2019)
20. Amyl and The Sniffers – Got You (single, Rough Trade Records, 2019)
21. J. Mascis – Don’t Do Me Like That (single, Sub Pop Records, 2019)
22. The Budos Band – The Enchanter (The Budos Band V, Daptone, 2019)
23. The Yawpers – Carry Me (single, Bloodshot Records, 2019)
24. Mega Bog – Diary of a Rose (single, Paradise of Bachelors, 2019)
25. Paper Beat Scissors – Don’t Mind (single, Forward Music Group, 2019)
26. red steppes – Trouble (single, 2019)
27. Spencer Radcliffe – Here Comes the Snow (single, Run For Cover, 2019)
28. Danny Vera – Roller Coaster (single, Excelsior Recordings, 2019)
29. Nicholas Mudd – Sailing Song (Nicholas Mudd, 2019)
30. Christopher Gold & The New Old Things – Wildflower Sky (single, 2019)
31. Titus Haug – Good Things Take Time (River Eyes EP, 2019)
32. April Verch – The Lord Knows I’m Drinking (Once A Day, 2019)
33. Steel Blossoms – Trailer Neighbor (single, Billy Jam Records, 2019)
34. Carl Anderson – Ten Different Reasons (single, 2019)
35. Adam Ostrar – Morning Said (The Worried Coat, Super Secret Records, 2019)
36. Abby Crerie – Inner Dialogue (single, 2019)
37. She Keeps Bees – Kinship (single, BB*Island, 2019)
38. Weyes Blood – Something To Believe In (Titanic Rising, Sub Pop Records, 2019)
39. Shana Cleveland – Don’t Let Me Sleep (Night of the Worm Moon, Hardly Art, 2019)
40. Roseanne Reid – What I’ve Done (Trails, Last Man Music, 2019)
Oh and do buy the vinyl/cd/download. Spotify and other streaming services are perfect for these introductory purposes, but try to buy at least the music that matter the most to you
If you are looking this after a week has gone, the embedded Spotify will show the latest playlist. I’ll just update the same playlist because a) if someone wants to follow it, they can just follow that one list and will get a new set of songs each Sunday b) so that I don’t have a trillion of different playlists on my Spotify account.