Hey another week, another weekly playlist.
This was delayed until Monday, because I was working on the aoty list all weekend long. I still wanted to do this as well, because some lovely artists didn’t care about this silly year-end routine and released fantastic music so late in the year that one couldn’t include them. Except that I haven’t posted my songs of the year list yet, so you didn’t get away that easily. Looking at you Cale Tyson, Leah Senior and M.Lockwoord Porter. Nothing wrong with this new one either. There were also a great new album from Finnish band Too Slow and an EP from Itä-Hollola installaatio. The list also has a song from the new Micah Schnabel EP. It’s been out a week or two, but didn’t know it was on Spotify.
I think my favorite new song of the week is the new single by Cale Tyson. A moving look at a relationship that has become unhealthy. Bonus points for being able to use the word “instagram” on a song. Apparently anything can work if you are a good songwriter. The already mentioned Leah Senior and M.Lockwood Porter singles are also pure gold.
The latter half are full of Christmas songs. So if you hate them passionately, you can stop listening after Scott Hirsch. I still think these are rather good ones though. My favorites are the Andrew Bryant ones. I had to include his seasonal song from 2017, because I happen to love the song I Wish I Had More. Plus I have to fully use the chance to finally feature his music on these playlists, because his 2018 album is not on Finnish Spotify. (Erin Rae’s cover song is also from last year). His new is also excellent. Socks by JD McPherson is the one I would go with, if I bought Christmas record. I’m sure I missed a lot of new ones from this yuletune category, because I don’t follow it that closely. I probably missed a lot in general too this week, because this was a bit more rushed effort than normally and I didn’t go through the Bandcamp, CD Baby etc release calendar to find some hidden gems etc.
I think this will be the last weekly playlist before Christmas. I don’t expect a lot of new releases this week and even if there are, I think I deserve a Christmas break from this. However, there will be one more post before Christmas. The songs of the year 2018. I think this will be mostly a mega playlist with hours of my favourite songs of 2018 for the onechord history books. There won’t be a whole of writing, but I do try pick a top three, ten, twenty or something and the rest hundred or two will be in random order.
OCTA Weekly Playlist Episode #22
1. Cale Tyson – Not Healthy Anymore
2. Leah Senior – Graves
3. M. Lockwood Porter – Stumbling Toward the Dawn
4. Joshua Ray Walker – Last Call
5. Micah Schnabel – Call Your Mother
6. Ally Kerr – Upgrade Me
7. The Provincial Archive – Imaginary Friends
8. Too Slow – Feeling Small
9. Itä-Hollola Installaatio – Rakastunut sinuun
10. The Greenberry Woods – Are You In Love Again
11. Charlie Faye & The Fayettes – Baby We’ll Be Ok
12. Cass McCombs – Estrella
13. Scott Hirsch – Long Lost Time
14. Colyn Cameron – Golden State Adress
15. Andrew Bryant – No One Deserves To Be Alone (On Christmas)
16. Woods – Christmas Time Is Here
17. Young Readers – Silent Night
18. Timid, The Brave – Christmas Eve
19. St Lenox – Christmas Song
20. JD McPherson – Ugly Sweater Blues
21. Andrew Bryant – I Wish I Had More
22. Ross Cooper – I Just Ain’t Merry This Year
23. Phoebe Bridgers – Christmas Song
24. Erin Rae, Kate Bernhardt, Coco Reilly – Merry Christmas Darling
Oh and do buy the vinyl/cd/download. Spotify and other streaming services are perfect for these introductory purposes, but try to buy at least the music that matter the most to you
If you are looking this after a week has gone, the embedded Spotify will show the latest playlist. I’ll just update the same playlist because a) if someone wants to follow it, they can just follow that one list and will get a new set of songs each Sunday b) so that I don’t have a trillion of different playlists on my Spotify account.