Another week, another weekly playlist.
Not a whole lot of new releases. Therefore I added some stuff that came out earlier in the year too that I haven’t featured either at all or just not enough. I think the only albums on the list that actually came out this week are from americana songwriter Stephen Kellogg and the Finnish alternative rock band (or is it more of a solo thing) Joonas Holmen + The Lossy Codecs. If you love Penniless for example (and well who doesn’t), give a spin to that Joonas Holmen album, because it’s very good. Us Presidents album and Blue Wilson EP came out earlier in November, but they are the new finds of the week for me and I really like them both after a couple of listening sessions. The album that I listened to the most by far was the new Grand Salvo album that came out a week ago. An album of the year contender.
There were some great new singles. Bob Sumner from the Sumner Brothers will release a solo album in January and the first single Riverbed came out on Friday. Daniel Romano’s new album is out next week, but first there’s new single available. Fabulous Finnish artists Litku Klemetti and Tomi Nordlund & Syvä Joki also dropped new singles this week. Daniel Steinbock, Gold Rose and Nathan Truax singles are also brand new if I’m not mistaken. The other stuff on the list is slightly older, but definitely worth investigating. If your blogger was any good at his job (or well hobby), he would have praised Tomberlin, Sara Renberg, RF Shannon etc when their gorgeous albums came out.
OCTA Weekly Playlist – Episode #19
1. Grand Salvo – Field of Flowers (Sea Glass, Mistletone, 2018)
2. Us Presidents – Your Love’s a Lighter (Worst World in the World, 2018)
3. Blue Wilson – Emily Waters (Younger EP, Forged Artifacts, 2018)
4. Bob Sumner – Riverbed (single, 2018)
5. Daniel Romano – The Long Mirror of Time (single, New West / You’ve Changed Records, 2018)
6. Daniel Steinbock – Out Of Blue (single, 2018)
7. Litku Klemetti – Kaikki peittyy kyyneliin (single, Luova Records, 2018)
8. Tomi Nordlund & Syvä Joki – Tiellä ei mihinkään (single, Soit se silti, 2018)
9. Laura Moisio – Keltaiset verhot (Laura Moisio, Texicalli Records, 2018)
10. Kuumat siivet – Itke hänet pois (Tänä iltana EP, 2018)
11. Penniless – The Core (X, Soit se silti, 2018)
12. Joonas Holmen + The Lossy Codecs – Acid (Sterner Stuff, Fuu Recs, 2018)
13. Lynn Taylor & The Barflies – Rock Paper Scissors (with my Love) (Staggered, 2018)
14. Gold Rose – Rosalee (single, 2018)
15. Nathan Truax – Oh, What Are You To Do (single, 2018)
16. Vanessa Peters – What You Can’t Outrun (Foxhole Prayers, Idol Records, 2018)
17. Tomberlin – Untitled 1 (At Weddings, Saddle Creek, 2018)
18. Stephen Kellogg – All the Love That Comes to Me (Objects in the Mirror, Fat Sam Records, 2018)
19. Christine Fellows – Unleashed (Roses on the Vine, Vivat Virtute, 2018)
20. Faye Webster – Kingston (single, Secretly Canadian, 2018)
21. Sara Renberg – Elderly Lesbians (Night Sands, Antiquated Future Records, 2018)
22. Hannah Read – I’ll Still Sing Your Praises (Way Out I’ll Wander, Hudson Records, 2018)
23. Graham Nicholas – Keeping My Soul Alive (Dial Tones and Pretty Notes, 2018)
24. RF Shannon – Tooth Ache (Trickster Blues, Cosmic Dreamer, 2018)
25. Harrison Whitford – Strangers in the Making (Afraid Of Everything, 2018)
If you are looking this after a week has gone, the embedded Spotify will show the latest playlist. I’ll just update the same playlist because a) if someone wants to follow it, they can just follow that one list and will get a new set of songs each Sunday b) so that I don’t have a trillion of different playlists on my Spotify account.
Oh and do buy the vinyl/cd/download. Spotify and other streaming services are perfect for these introductory purposes, but try to buy at least the music that matter the most to you.