Another week, another weekly playlist.
This one was a slightly slower release week on the album front, but the ones that did come out are brilliant. The long-waited new Tiny Ruins album leads the charge and was the most important release for yours truly. There are also excellent new albums from Blank Range, Abigail Lapell, Guided by Voices, Mandolin Orange, El Palacio de Linares and Deer Tick (this one is a collection of covers, different outtakes etc). The big EP of the week is the new one from Cale Tyson, but I also highly recommend checking out that BURLY EP.
There’s some fabulous stuff from Finland once again. Jerry & The Outlaws released a new album called Devil’s Cut and then there were magnificent new singles from Mental Market, Salaliitto and Since November. Oh and there’s also a song from the new Jukka Ruottinen EP that I missed a week ago.
And as usual, lots of awesome new singles. The trouble with always adding these is that when the album finally arrives, I might need to post a 2nd or 3rd favorite if I want to add something new. And on the release week, I kinda would like to post the song that I love the most. Of course, nobody other than myself really cares about these things, so it’s bit of a non-issue I suppose. I could again namedrop all of them, because they are on this list because I like all of them. Some key ones for me were the new singles from forthcoming Craig Finn, Yola, Rosie Tucker and Caleb Elliott albums (the Rosie Tucker one is a few weeks old, but I missed it then). LeAnna Eden was the completely new find of the week for me. Thanks to the excellent NC Rocks playlist for introducing this excellent song to me. Sofia Wolfson is also quite new find for me and I really this song from her forthcoming EP. And yeah, everything else also rules equally much.
That’s it for now I think. I start waiting for the Super Bowl. Oh and I’m on vacation this week, so I have a bit more time to listen to submissions than usually, if you want me to hear something. An album/ep download link is always the best possible and preferred submission method, but whatever is good for you.
OCTA Weekly Playlist Episode #27
1. Tiny Ruins – School of Design (Olympic Girls, Marathon, 2019)
2. Cale Tyson – Shouldn’t Tell U (Narcissist EP, 2019)
3. Blank Range – Lonely II (In Unison, Sturdy Girls Records, 2019)
4. Mental Market – Wild Poppies (Poppies / Natural Rubber EP, Money Laundry Recods, 2019)
5. Guided By Voices – Your Lights Are Out (Zeppelin Over China, 2019)
6. Craig Finn – Blankets (single, Partisan Records, 2019)
7. Abigail Lapell – Sparrow For a Heart (Getaway, Coax Records, 2019)
8. Yola – Love All Night (Work All Day) (single, Easy Eye Sound, 2019)
9. LeAnna Eden – Don’t Forget To Say Goodbye (single, 2019)
10. Caleb Elliott – Don’t Go Losing Your Head (single, Single Lock Records, 2019)
11. Mandolin Orange – When She’s Feeling Blue (Tides of a Teardrop, Yep Roc, 2019)
12. Josh Ritter – Old Black Magic (single, Pytheas Recordings, 2019)
13. Jerry & The Outlaws – 3 Chords & The Alternative Truth (The Devil’s Cut, 2019)
14. Christopher Gold & The New Old Things – Pillar To Post (single, 2019)
15. Deer Tick – Run Of The Mill (Mayonnaise, Partisan Records, 2019)
16. Willie Farmer – I Am The Lightning (single, Big Legal Mess, 2019)
17. Dead Tongues – Road To Heaven (single, 2019)
18. Dylan Rodrigue – Some Kind of Heaven (Cat’s Game, Bad Paintings / Palomino, 2019)
19. Salaliitto – Outoja valoja (single, Soit se silti, 2019)
20. Better Oblivion Community Center – Dylan Thomas (Better Oblivion Community Center, Dead Oceans, 2019)
21. Sofia Wolfson – Nothing’s Real (single, 2019)
22. Rosie Tucker – Gay Bar (single, New Professor, 2019)
23. Partner – Long and McQuade (single, You’ve Changed Records, 2019)
24. Martha – Love Keeps Kicking (single, Big Scary Monsters, 2019)
25. El Palacio de Linares – El Estilo (Largos Agotadores, Pretty Olivia Records, 2019)
26. Lucy Dacus – La Vie En Rose (single, Matador Records, 2019)
27. Cass McCombs – Absentee (single, Anti-, 2019)
28. Those Pretty Wrongs – Time To Fly (single, Burger Records, 2019)
29. BURLY – Kent Lame (Self Titled Demon EP, Fivekill Records, 2019)
30. Kalyn Fay – Fool’s Heartbreak (single, Horton Records, 2019)
31. Graham Hunt – Every Person (single, Forged Artifacts, 2019)
32. Pete Molinari – Steal the Night (single, We Are Hear, 2019)
33. Lee Harvey Osmond – Whole Damn World (Mohawk, Latent Recordings, 2019)
34. Bob Sumner – A Thoudand Horses (Wasted Loved Songs, 2019)
35. Joshua Ray Walker – Lot Lizard (Wish You Were Here, State Fair Records, 2019)
36. Flatland Cavalry – Living by Moonlight (Homeland Insecurity, 2019)
37. Jukka Ruottinen – Dim Light (Downtown EP, Haarakiila Records, 2019)
38. Andrew Bird – Sisyphus (single, Loma Vista Recordings, 2019)
39. Since November – First Final Frontier (single, Robots Are Great! Records, 2019)
40. Jo Schornikow – Incomplete (single, Keeled Scales Records, 2019)
Oh and do buy the vinyl/cd/download. Spotify and other streaming services are perfect for these introductory purposes, but try to buy at least the music that matter the most to you
If you are looking this after a week has gone, the embedded Spotify will show the latest playlist. I’ll just update the same playlist because a) if someone wants to follow it, they can just follow that one list and will get a new set of songs each Sunday b) so that I don’t have a trillion of different playlists on my Spotify account.