Another week, another weekly playlist.
Sorry to disappoint you. I haven’t come to my senses. I’m still doing this every week. I’ve just had the flu since Friday and therefore there was this small delay. The playlist has been on Spotify for a day, but I just didn’t have the energy to start the computer and write this post until now. I thought I was doing better, but I guess I’m still not 100% because just typing this post turned me into a sweatmaster.
Anyway, last Friday was a pretty special release day. Matthew Milia, Caroline Spence and Big Thief all released a new album. That’s quite a trio. I love them all, but the Matthew Milia album is still the most important one to me. Frontier Ruckus has been my favorite band during the past five years and oh my how I love this solo too. The best record of the year so far. Other new albums on the list are from Mr. Husband, Ordinary Elephant, The Dream Syndicate, The Felice Brothers, John Southworth, Sara Trunzo, Joy Williams, Mike Ross (this one is a week old, but I missed it then) and Kendall Elise. When I made this list, I included a single from Kassi Valazza. Actually the whole amazing album came out today, so you can already listen to that beautiful record. I will return to it next week. Some great EPs this week too from Charlie Marie, Bobby’s Oar and Sam Outlaw.
The Finnish section contains new singles from H.C.Slim, Tyynyt and The Stillwalkers. I forgot the important and powerful Swan/Koistinen EP when I made the playlist earlier, but I added a song from it today.
Lots of great international singles as usual. Ian Noe, Carl Anderson, Courtney Marie Andrews (Deer Tick cover), Karine Polwart, Kelly Hunt etc. Everything would be worth a namedrop in this text too, but you’ll find them from the list below.
That’s it for tonight. I’ll go back to resting, so that I have enough energy to maybe return to the dayjob tomorrow. Remember love.
OCTA Weekly Playlist Episode #40
1. Matthew Milia – Attention Students (Alone at St. Hugo, Sitcom Universe, 2019)
2. Caroline Spence – Sometimes a Woman Is An Island (Mint Condition, Rounder Records, 2019)
3. Big Thief – Orange (U.F.O.F, 4AD, 2019)
4. Mr. Husband – Happy Happy (Kenny Husband & The Husky Selection, Good Soil Records, 2019)
5. Ian Noe – Letter To Madeline (single, National Treasury Recordings, 2019)
6. Courtney Marie Andrews – Goodbye, Dear Friend (single, 2019)
7. Carl Anderson – She Took Everything (single, 2019)
8. Charlie Marie – Rhinestones (Charlie Marie EP. 2019)
9. Ordinary Elephant – Scars We Keep (Honest, 2019)
10. Frankie Lee – In the Blue (single, Loose Music, 2019)
11. Kassi Valazza – A Fine Colour (single, 2019)
12. Pearl Charles – Sweet Sunshine Wine (single, Kanine Records, 2019)
13. Palehound – Worthy (single, 2019)
14. Kitty Kat Fan Club – Happy Now, Loving You (single, Asian Man Records, 2019)
15. The Infinites – Scott McMurray (single, First Humans Records, 2019)
16. Stanley Brinks and The Wave Pictures – Tequila Island (single, Fika Recordings, 2019)
17. H.C. Slim – Sojourner (single, Svart Records, 2019)
18. Tyynyt – Lojun (single, Nefer Maglev, 2019)
19. The Dream Syndicate – The Way In (These Times, Anti-, 2019)
20. John Southworth – Red Velvet Curtains (Miracle in the Night, Tin Angel Records, 2019)
21. Karine Polwart – Since Yesterday (single, Hegri, 2019)
22. The Felice Brothers – Days of the Years (Undress, Yep Roc, 2019)
23. Damn Tall Buildings – Words To The Song (single, 2019)
24. Kelly Hunt – Across the Great Divide (single, Rare Bird Records, 2019)
25. Sara Trunzo (feat. Mary Gauthier) – In the Bend of the Cumberland (Dirigo Attitude, 2019)
26. John Prine – My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight (single, Oh Boy Records, 2019)
27. Joy Williams – Canary (Front Porch, Sensibility Recordings, 2019)
28. Bobby’s Oar – Compass in the City (Knots EP, 2019)
29. The Stillwalkers – Crystal Clear (single, 2019)
30. Deer Tick (John McCauley) – Rough Around the Edges (single, 2019)
31. Mike Ross – The Lee of the Bay (The Clovis Limit, Taller Records, 2019)
32. Dylan Earl – Morning Star (single, Fabulon Records, 2019)
33. Sam Outlaw – Cigarette (Hat Acts EP, Black Hills Recordings, 2019)
34. Julia Shapiro – A Couple Highs (single, Hardly Art, 2019)
35. Swan/Koistinen – Symptoms (Swan/Koistinen EP, Soliti, 2019)
36. Kendall Elise – Kirks Bush (The Long Way Around) (Red Earth, Creeping Ivy Records, 2019)
Oh and do buy the vinyl/cd/download. Spotify and other streaming services are perfect for these introductory purposes, but try to buy at least the music that matter the most to you
If you are looking this after a week has gone, the embedded Spotify will show the latest playlist. I’ll just update the same playlist because a) if someone wants to follow it, they can just follow that one list and will get a new set of songs each Sunday b) so that I don’t have a trillion of different playlists on my Spotify account.