The rumours were true and Hip-O Select released this beauty last friday. Unfortunately for some unknown reason the label doesn’t ship to Finland and so far I haven’t been able to find it anywhere else. Hopefully it will end up in some other online store in the future. Otherwise it would be a huge kick in the teeth to know that Emitt Rhodes’ material is finally available, but I’m just not able to buy it. So if you come across a place that does sell it and does ship to Finland, let me know.
Hip-O Selects info page for this beautiful release
Top 5 albums:
1. Cheap Star: Speaking Like An Elephant
2. The Broken Family Band: Please and Thank You
3. Tinted Windows: S/T
4. Camera Obscura: My Maudlin Career
5. The Decemberists: Hazards Of Love
Top 5 songs:
1. Olento: Jill Nissinen (youtube video)
2. Cheap Star: You Got It All
3. Heartjet: All these 5 songs on their myspace
4. Koria Kitten Riot: Every Time We Had To Say Goodbye
5. Paleface: Traveling From North Carolina
– This is obviously not the finnish Paleface. Not that I have anything against him, but just thought I point it out that this is the american folk artist Paleface.
Top 1 most useless lists:
1. Those two above
Don’t take these too seriously. It’s just albums and songs I’ve enjoeyd during the given week. They are not necessarily in the order I would rate them as a whole. It’s just this weeks best of in my heart. And all the albums that feature on these lists might not be my biggest favourites all things considered. For example I still have major doubts concerning that The Decemberists album. Some of it is absolutely stunning, but some of it is just way too ambitious and simply boring to me. But because I’ve listened to it a lot during the week and adore the finest moments of it, it deserves the spot on this weeks list instead of several much better albums which I have only spinned a few times during the week.
Today I noticed that my favourite record store 8raita had this on their website in the staff recommends section. I didn’t have clue what it was, but because they have an excellent taste in music I checked it out. I found out that First Aid Kid is Klara & Johanna Söderberg. 16 and 19 year old sisters from Sweden. They seem to be extremely talented, because they have already written some great acoustic folk songs. You don’t necessarily have to be a fan of folk music to enjoy this. I think this might work well for indie popsters as well. I mean how could one not love these lovely videos below..
They also make a killer version of Fleet Foxes’ Tiger Mountain Peasant Song. You’ll find that one and the ones above also from their myspace.
First Aid Kit at myspace