Another week, another weekly playlist.
Approaching the end of the year, but there’s still lots of great music to come. So let’s wait at least for another month before starting to compile the year-end lists. The new albums from long-time favourite Vetiver and quite new favourite Erin Enderlin were probably my most anticipated releases this week, but that’s just a tiny fraction of all the action. There’s new albums from Ags Connolly, Wished Bone, Itasca, Matthew Ryan (well not sure does this count as a proper album, but it compiles his 2019 EPs together and it’s wonderful), Michael Kiwanuka, Leif Vollebekk, Jeffrey Lewis & Voltage, The Deer, Bobby Hawk, Piney Gir, Signe Marie Rustad and Grace Cummings. Plus a great EP from Flora Hibberd.
The new Finnish albums featured on this playlist are from Lehtojärven Hirvenpää and STINAKO. Plus Maustetytöt reappears with another song. There’s also wonderful new singles from Laura Moisio, Arppa, Hot Heros & Janne Laurila and Spring Teeth. I missed the first Arppa single earlier in the year, so make sure you check it out too if you like this second single. And thanks to Mikko for the introduction.
The international single of the week is the new one from The Innocence Mission. Love it so much. Other big ones were the new one from Quivers, Hallelujah The Hills and the surprise return single from the great A Girl Called Eddy. Of course everything else would also be worth of a namedrop.
That’s all for this week. Love love love.
1. Erin Enderlin – Broken (Faulkner Country, Blaster Records, 2019)
2. Ags Connolly – What Were You Gonna Do About It (Wrong Again, Finstock Music, 2019)
3. Wished Bone – Cops (Sap Season, 2019)
4. Vetiver – Filigree (Up on High, Loose Music / Mama Bird Recording Co, 2019)
5. Itasca – Voice of the Beloved (Spring, Paradise of Bachelors, 2019)
6. The Innocence Mission – On Your Side (single, Bella Union, 2019)
7. Matthew Ryan – On Our Death Day (The Future Was Beautiful, 2019)
8. Michael Kiwanuka – Solid Ground (KIWANUKA, Polydor, 2019)
9. Leif Vollebekk – Wait a While (New Ways, Secret City Records, 2019)
10. Flora Hibberd – As Long as There is Night (Absentee EP, Clear Light Records, 2011)
11. Laura Moisio – Ohi ajettiin (single, Texicalli, 2019)
12. Arppa – Vartiovuori (single, 2019)
13. Hot Heros & Janne Laurila – Tuoll’ on mun kultani (single, Soit Se Silti, 2019)
14. Lehtojärven Hirvenpää – Alaovella (LEhtojärven Hirvenpää, Helmi Levyt, 2019)
15. Hallelujah The Hills – It Still Floors Me (single, Discrete Pageantry, 2019)
16. Jeffrey Lewis & The Voltage – LPs (Bad Wiring, Moshi Moshi Records, 2019)
17. Quivers – When It Breaks (single, Hotel Motel Records, 2019)
18. The Deer – Nothing Hurt (Do No Harm, Keeled Scales, 2019)
19. Signe Marie Rustad – We Belong Somewhere (When Words Flew Freely, Die With Your Boots On Records, 2019)
20. A Girl Called Eddy – Been Around (single, Elefant Records, 2019)
21. Bobby Hawk – Lights on Kinks Out (Lights On Kinks Out, 2019)
22. Piney Gir – Little Cop (You Are Here, STRS, 2019)
23. Nicholas Jamerson – Perspective (single, 2019)
24. Annie Dressner – Nyack (single, 2019)
25. Caitlin Anne Webster – Powhatan River Blues (single, 2019)
26. Grace Cummings – The Look You Gave (Refuge Cove, Flightless, 2019)
27. Holy Hive – Hypnosis (single, Big Crown Records, 2019)
28. Jeff Crosby – Laramie (single, 2019)
29. Evan Felker – Whiskey in Your Water (single, 2019)
30. Chadwick Stokes – Blanket On the Moon (single, Ruff Shod Records, 2019)
31. German Error Message – What Welcoming (single, 2019)
32. Daystar – All That You Know (The Complete Recordings, 2019)
33. Ancient Shapes – Reconciliation Nation Now (A Flower That Wouldn’t Bloom, You’ve Changed Records, 2019)
34. Spring Teeth – Winter Year-Round (single, I Call It Blood Detective Records, 2019)
35. Maustetytöt – Mä loistan kuin hämärä (Kaikki tiet vievät Peltolaan, Is This Art!, 2019)
36. Stinako – Katselen (Ikuisuus, Soliti, 2019)
37. Little Scream – Dear Leader (Speed Queen, Merge Records, 2019)
38. Nick Nace – Old Records (Wrestling with the Mystery, 2019)
39. Theo Lawrence – They Don’t Like Me (Where I’m From) (Sauce Piquante, Tomika Records, 2019)
40. Simon Joyner – Blue Lullaby (Pocket Moon, BB*Island, 2019)
Oh and do buy the vinyl/cd/download. Spotify and other streaming services are perfect for these introductory purposes, but try to buy at least the music that matter the most to you
If you are looking this after a week has gone, the embedded Spotify will show the latest playlist. I’ll just update the same playlist because a) if someone wants to follow it, they can just follow that one list and will get a new set of songs each Sunday b) so that I don’t have a trillion of different playlists on my Spotify account.