Another week, another weekly playlist.
The year end is getting closer, but the hits just keep on coming. Or should-be hits at least. This week we got a new solo album from Micah Schnabel and that is a big deal. It’s a very powerful album where anger & frustration collide with hope & empathy. Super highly recommended. Also Elijah Ocean, Hurt Valley, The Country Side of Harmonica Sam and Lannie Flowers released great new albums. Then there’s the awesome Little Wings album that first came out in the summer, but I haven’t seen it before on this controversial streaming app. Yola’s album also got an extended version and Shotgun Jimmie and Rue Snider released EPs.
As for Finland. There’s the new album from Pekko Käppi along with a revisit to the wonderful Liila Jokelin album that started last week’s playlist. The new Pintandwefall single is absolutely wonderful and another single treat comes from Pietarin Spektaakkeli feat Yona.
International singles ruled the week too, because there was such treasures like a new John Moreland song, a new Jennah Barry song, a new Possessed by Paul James song and Tre Burt’s debut single on Oh Boy Records. Just to name a few. You’ll find the rest from the list below.
That’s it for this week. I may or may not do this next week. Kind of depends is there enough new stuff. Or maybe I’ll just add them on top of this one, if there’s some but not enough for a whole playlist. Mostly I try to start working on the pointless EOTY lists. First a couple of those round-up thingies during the next few days, then on to the lists. No definite promises about anything though. Love love love.
1. Micah Schnabel – Gentle Always (The Teenage Years of the 21st of Century, Here You Go! 2019)
2. Elijah Ocean – Came Down From Denver (Back to the Lander, New Wheel Music, 2019)
3. Tre Burt – Caught It from the Rye (single, Oh Boy Records, 2019)
4. Hurt Valley – Bothers (Glacial Place, Woodsist, 2019)
5. Little Wings – Cliff’s Face (People, Digsquad, 2019)
6. John Moreland – Harder Dreams (single, Old Omens, 2019)
7. Jennah Barry – Pink Grey Blue (single, Forward Music, 2019)
8. Pintandwefall – Ah-Ah-Ah (single, Soliti, 2019)
9. John Prine – The Ways of a Woman in Love (single, Oh Boy, 2019)
10. The Country Side of Harmonica Sam – Patches on My Heart (Broken Bottle, Broken Heart, El Toro Records, 2019)
11. Pekko Käppi – Tulet palaa (Finnish Folk Songs Vol. 1, Helmi Levyt, 2019)
12. Possessed by Paul James – Be at Rest (single, 2019)
13. Shotgun Jimmie – A Flower From Yesterday (VHS EP, You’ve Changed Records, 2019)
14. Kacy & Clayton – How To Fight Loneliness (single, New West, 2019)
15. Rue Snider – Speak My Mind Live (Pete’s Candy Store Pt 1 EP, 2019)
16. Ana Egge – We Are One Live (single, StorySound Records, 2019)
17. Bart Budwig – Sock Song (single, Fluff & Gravy Records, 2019)
18. Luke De-Sciscio – I’m a Dream Fighting Out of a Man (single, 2019)
19. Fortitude Valley – Wreck (single, Fika Recordings, 2019)
20. Lannie Flowers – Running (Home, 2019)
21. Nadia Reid – Best Thing (single, Spacebomb, 2019)
22. Yola – I Don’t Wanna Lie (Walk Through Fire Extended, Easy Eye Sound, 2019)
23. James Hunter Six – I Can Change Your Mind (single, Daptone Records, 2019)
24. Khruangbin & Leon Bridges – Texas Sun (single, Dead Oceans, 2019)
25. Son Little – Mahalia (single, Anti, 2019)
26. Pietarin Spektaakkeli feat Yona – Siivet (single, Roihis Musica, 2019)
27. Liila Jokelin – Tulet kohtaamaan taistelun (Kaamos on huono esileikki, Helmi Levyt, 2019)
28. Alan Barnosky – Beer Cans and Quarters (single, 2019)
29. Trey Burnart Hall – Mosaic (Story Songs, 2019)
30. Heather Valley – Seasons (Desert Message, 2019)
31. Twain – Star Mate (Adventure, Keeled Scales, 2019)
32. Bill Fay – Love Will Remain (single, Dead Oceans, 2019)
Oh and do buy the vinyl/cd/download. Spotify and other streaming services are perfect for these introductory purposes, but try to buy at least the music that matter the most to you
If you are looking this after a week has gone, the embedded Spotify will show the latest playlist. I’ll just update the same playlist because a) if someone wants to follow it, they can just follow that one list and will get a new set of songs each Sunday b) so that I don’t have a trillion of different playlists on my Spotify account.