Another week, another new music weekly.
Sorry for the small delay. I’ve been suffering with small flu symptoms for the past few days. Had a covid test too, which was negative. So just an ordinary one. At least this time around. I still suspect that I might have had it back in March, because I was sick for eight weeks with what was by far the weirdest sickness of my life. And even after the so-called “recovery”, I’ve felt like absolute horseshit all year long with freaky symptoms that come and go. Since mid-March my year has been a total nightmare with awful night sweats, chest pains, headaches, tachycardia and what not. There’s no way to tell what I really had in the spring, because you couldn’t get a test early on. But whatever the hell it was, I never fully recovered from it. That’s kind of why there has only been this weekly post on the blog and why I’ve been horrible at answering to your emails and messages. I just haven’t had enough energy to do much more than just trying get through each day. So sorry about the lack of updates and horrible correspondence. But enough with the personal mumbo jumbo. Here’s a very quick run of this week’s new releases.
I’ve spent most time this weekend with Terra Spencer’s beautiful new album. It has been the remedy for my flu-ish mind. Other big things this week for me are the new album from Trevor Beld Jimenez and the EPs from Gianna Lauren and Molly Parden. The week also gave us new great albums from Gwenifer Raymond, Spencer Cullum, The Flat Five, Wayne Graham, Charlie Kaplan, Chris Stapleton and Gillian Welch (rarities comp) plus EPs from Brittain Ashford & Matt Bauer and Lambchop. Oh yeah and there’s a new album from The Parson Red Heads at least in the US. I think there might be a later Euro release, because it’s not available on Spotify over here.
In Finland, we have more home recordings from Veli. What a sweet EP. There’s also new albums from Maustetytöt and KO:MI plus singles from Nightbird, Gim Kordon, EPILÄ and Johannes Faustus.
And finally international singles. There’s a new single from Teenage Fanclub. A kind of big deal for me, because The Posies, Teenage Fanclub and The Sugarrush are my all-time favorite bands. There’s also the final single from the John Calvin Abney album that’s due out next week, Lucero cover from Heather Valley, new beautiful ones from Pony Bradshaw, LadyCouch, Small Houses and so forth.
That’s it for this week. Back to bed. Love from a distance.
1. Terra Spencer feat Bela String Quartet – In the City (Chasing Rabbits, 2020)
2. Gianna Lauren – Whoa (Vanity Metrics EP, Forward Music Group, 2020)
3. Molly Parden – Feel Alive Again (Rosemary EP, Tone Tree Music, 2020)
4. Trevor Beld Jimenez – Comeback Kid (I Like It Here, Curation Records, 2020)
5. Teenage Fanclub – Home (single, PeMa, 2020)
6. John Calvin Abney – Showing Up Late (single, Black Mesa Records, 2020)
7. Pony Bradshaw – Calico Jim (single, Black Mountain Music, 2020)
8. Nightbird – Spring (single, Ella Ruth Institutet, 2020)
9. Heather Valley – The Last Song (single, 2020)
10. Gwenifer Raymond – Worn Out Blues (Strange Lights Over Garth Mountain, Tompkins Square, 2020)
11. Jason Sinkhorn – My Last Folk Song (single, 2020)
12. Brittain Ashford & Matt Bauer – Night In Saguaro (Day Inside a Night EP, Commodore Trotter, 2020)
13. Spencer Cullum – Imminent Shadow (Spencer Cullum’s Coin Collection, yk Records, 2020)
14. Small Houses – Since Always (Scratch Tracks #1, 2020)
15. Wayne Graham – Infinitude (1% Juice, Celebration Records, 2020)
16. LadyCouch – Good God (single, Cafe Rooster Records, 2020)
17. Pearl Charles – Imposter (single, Kanine Records, 2020)
18. The Flat Five – I Don’t Even Care (Another World, Pravda Records, 2020)
19. Veli – Breedersin Pod (Kotiäänityksiä II, Evil Veli Recordings, 2020)
20. EPILÄ– Liimaukset irtoo (single, Kyydisk, 2020)
21. Gim Kordon – Betoni kukkii (single, All That Plazz, 2020)
22. Maustetytöt – Äiti älä huoli (Eivät enkelitkään ilman siipiä lennä, Is This Art! 2020)
23. KO:MI – Liquid Walls (We Said We Didn’t Know but We Knew, Soliti, 2020)
24. Charlie Kaplan – In California (Sunday, 2020)
25. The Duke of Norfolk – December / Willow in the Sun (single, Bramar Records, 2020)
26. Slowforce – Walls (single, 2020)
27. Chris Stapleton – When I’m With You (Starting Over, UMG, 2020)
28. Kelsey Waldon – Sam Stone (single, Oh Boy Records, 2020)
29. Gillian Welch – City Girl (Boot No.2: The Lost Songs Vol.3, Acony Records, 2020)
30. Ottoman Turks – 35 to Life (single, State Fair Records, 2020)
31. The Feels – She’s Probably Not Thinkin’ Of Me (single, 2020)
32. Randolph’s Leap – Up in Smoke (single, Fika Recordings, 2020)
33. Corvair – Sunday Runner (single, Wiaiwya, 2020)
34. The Real Numbers – Brighter Then (single, Meritorio Records, 2020)
35. Johannes Faustus – Valo (single, 2020)
36. Badge Epogue Ensemble feat Jennifer Castle – Just Space for Light (single, Telephone Explosion Records, 2020)
37. Leif Vollebekk – Long Blue Light (single, Secret City Records, 2020)
38. Graeme Kennedy – Revival In Lincoln (single, 2020)
39. Chris Acker – Someday Lovers (Good Kid, 2020)
40. Lambchop – Weather Blues (TRIP EP, City Slang, 2020)
Oh and do buy the vinyl/cd/download. Spotify and other streaming services are perfect for these introductory purposes, but try to buy at least the music that matter the most to you
If you are looking this after a week has gone, the embedded Spotify will show the latest playlist. I’ll just update the same playlist because a) if someone wants to follow it, they can just follow that one list and will get a new set of songs each Sunday b) so that I don’t have a trillion of different playlists on my Spotify account.