It’s been a long time coming, but now the wait is over and Puumaja’s debut album Meriselityksiä hits the stores today. It’s released by Quiet Life Records and it contains 9 great songs. Okay, if I’m honest I should say that it contains 8 great songs, because after a few spins I haven’t learned to love the song Punaiset Seinät. But it could be just me and probably is. And even in my case, if 8 out of 9 songs hits my heart, I have to say that it’s rather excellent accuracy. Well done. Watch the video of Meren Kutsu below and check out more samples on their website and/or myspace.
Puumaja at myspace
The rumours were true and Hip-O Select released this beauty last friday. Unfortunately for some unknown reason the label doesn’t ship to Finland and so far I haven’t been able to find it anywhere else. Hopefully it will end up in some other online store in the future. Otherwise it would be a huge kick in the teeth to know that Emitt Rhodes’ material is finally available, but I’m just not able to buy it. So if you come across a place that does sell it and does ship to Finland, let me know.
Hip-O Selects info page for this beautiful release
Top 5 albums:
1. Cheap Star: Speaking Like An Elephant
2. The Broken Family Band: Please and Thank You
3. Tinted Windows: S/T
4. Camera Obscura: My Maudlin Career
5. The Decemberists: Hazards Of Love
Top 5 songs:
1. Olento: Jill Nissinen (youtube video)
2. Cheap Star: You Got It All
3. Heartjet: All these 5 songs on their myspace
4. Koria Kitten Riot: Every Time We Had To Say Goodbye
5. Paleface: Traveling From North Carolina
– This is obviously not the finnish Paleface. Not that I have anything against him, but just thought I point it out that this is the american folk artist Paleface.
Top 1 most useless lists:
1. Those two above
Don’t take these too seriously. It’s just albums and songs I’ve enjoeyd during the given week. They are not necessarily in the order I would rate them as a whole. It’s just this weeks best of in my heart. And all the albums that feature on these lists might not be my biggest favourites all things considered. For example I still have major doubts concerning that The Decemberists album. Some of it is absolutely stunning, but some of it is just way too ambitious and simply boring to me. But because I’ve listened to it a lot during the week and adore the finest moments of it, it deserves the spot on this weeks list instead of several much better albums which I have only spinned a few times during the week.