Another week and another weekly playlist.
What an amazing week of new music week once again. I could make a pretty damn good year-end top 10 just by using the albums that came out this week. Vanessa Peters (not on Finnish spotify, so not on the playlist), Philippe Bronchtein, Adrianne Lenker, The Other Years, JP Harris, Cat Power, Nathan Bowles, Will Hoge, Swearin’, Ancient Shapes, Sylvia Rose Novak, Sharesprings, Martha L. Healy etc. Pretty insane stuff. And I haven’t even touched the surface of some bigger album releases like Phosphorescent, Gregory Alan Isakov and Jim James. Plus all the stuff that I’m not even aware of at all.
Among Horses III EP by Haley Heynderickx and Max Garcia Conover is incredible. The biggest and most powerful single for me was the new Julia Jacklin song that starts the playlist. Lots of other magnificent ones from the likes of Mandolin Orange, Comet Gain, Laura Gibson and Bedouine.
Some Finnish stuff too. A new solo album from Jussi Petäjä and new singles from Klasu and Liljankukka. Also another song from Lac Belot, the writer of the finest Finnish album of the year so far.
Again some of last week’s finest albums appear with another should be hit on the last third of the list: St. Lenox, Jerry David DeCicca, The Pollies, William Matheny, Ural Thomas & The Pain, The Herbert Bail Orchestra.
Ok, I think that’s all for now. I’m sure I forgot something, because this was a bit more rushed effort than normally. I’ve had a minor hockey overdose going on, because the NHL season began and I’ve spent most of my spare time watching hockey. However, I still think this list turned out great and contains magical and endearingly beautiful music. Of course that has absolutely nothing to do with your ”curator” and everything to do with the extraordinary music that came out this week. Just the first five songs for example. Oh my. Perfect on all accounts.
OCTA Weekly Playlist – Episode #12
1. Julia Jacklin – Body (single, Transgressive Records / Polyvinyl Records, 2018)
2. Adrianne Lenker – what can you say (abysskiss, Saddle Creek, 2018)
3. Philippe Bronchtein – I’m a Runner (Me and the Moon, 2018)
4. Haley Heynderickx & Max Garcia Conover – The Park (Among Horses III, Son Canciones, 2018)
5. The Other Years – Talkeetna (The Other Years, No Quarter, 2018)
6. Adeline Hotel – Lightning (single, Ruination Record Co, 2018)
7. Laura Gibson – Domestication (single, City Slang, 2018)
8. Cat Power – In Your Face (Wanderer, Domino Recording Co, 2018)
9. JP Harris – Long Ways Back (Sometimes Dogs Bark at Nothing, Free Dirt Records, 2018)
10. Will Hoge – Still a Southern Man (My American Dream, EDLO Records, 2018)
11. Nathan Bowles – Fresh & Fairly So (Plainly Mistaken, Paradise of Bachelors, 2018)
12. Petäjä – Fading (40950, Pinetree Music, 2018)
13. Klasu – Kultaakin kalliimpaa (single, Soit se silti, 2018)
14. Liljankukka – 22 vuotta sitten (single, Karhuvaltion Records, 2018)
15. Swearin’ – Big Change (Fall Into Sun, Merge Records, 2018)
16. Ancient Shapes – Wabash Wrecking Ball (Silent Rave, You’ve Changed Records, 2018)
17. Comet Gain – I Was More of a Mess Then (single, Tapete Records, 2018)
18. Sharesprings – Pocketguides (Paraparlor, Jigsaw Records, 2018)
19. Mandolin Orange – Time We Made Time (single, Yep Roc, 2018)
20. Bob Collum & The Welfare Mothers – Across a Crowded Room (Pay Pack and Carry, 2018)
21. Martha L. Healy – No Place Like A Home (Keep the Flame Alight, 2018)
22. Sylvia Rose Novak – Devil’s in the Details (Someone Else’s War, Due South Records, 2018)
23. William Matheny – Flashes and Cables (single, Misra Records, 2018)
24. The Pollies – Love’s to Fault (Transmissions, This Is American Music, 2018)
25. Jerry David DeCicca – Burning Daylight (Burning Daylight, Super Secret Records, 2018)
26. The Herbert Bail Orchestra – Headed North Again (History’s Made At Night, 2018)
27. St. Lenox – Apparently (Ten Fables of Young Ambition and Passionate Love, Anyway Records, 2018)
28. Ural Thomas & The Pain – Vibrations (The Right Time, Tender Loving Empire, 2018)
29. Bedouine – Come Down In Time (single, Spacebomb Records, 2018)
30. Lac Belot – Abracadabra (ABRACADABRA! Solina Records, 2018)
if you are looking this after a week has gone, the embedded Spotify will show the latest playlist. I’ll just update the same playlist because a) if someone wants to follow it, they can just follow that one list and will get a new set of songs each Sunday b) so that I don’t have a trillion of different playlists on my Spotify account.
Oh and do buy the vinyl/cd/download. Spotify and other streaming services are perfect for these introductory purposes, but try to buy at least the music that matter the most to you.