Another week, another weekly playlist.
There was so much albums this week especially in the americana circle that it was impossible to listen to all of them in time for this. So some good ones might well be missing from this one. However, I did listen quite a lot and here’s what caught my ear.
The highlight of the week is the new John Moreland album. Maybe a bit of a curve ball, but just let it spin a while and eventually it will hit you in the heart. That’s just a small part of it all and the week gave us new albums from Stripmall Ballads, Christopher Paul Stelling, Miss Tess, Isobel Campbell, Dropkick, Nada Surf, Arbor Labor Union, David Allen, Aubrie Sellers, Frazey Ford, John Blek, Chicago Farmer and Spanish Love Songs. There’s also some great EPs from Khruangbin & Leon Bridges, Babehoven, Corinne Sharlet and Ian Ferguson. The Haden Triplets album is a couple of weeks old, but I missed it when it came out.
The Finnish section only contains a revisit to the Muuan Mies album and a single from the latest Soit Se Silti signing Rohkeat kuvat. I’m sure there had to be more interesting stuff.
Plenty of great international singles like Logan Ledger, Talitha Ferri, Christian Lee Hutson, Whitney Rose, Amanda Shires, Sweet Megg, Lucinda Williams…. and then there’s the usual revisit to some of my favorite albums of the previous week.
That’s all for this week. Back again next Sunday for this and before that hopefully a couple of short blog posts. Love love love.
1. Stripmall Ballads – Susan at the Crossroads (Distant, 2020)
2. John Moreland – In Times Between (LP5, Old Omens, 2020)
3. Christopher Paul Stelling – Have To Do For Now (Best Of Luck, Anti-, 2029)
4. Miss Tess – The Moon Is An Ashtray (The Moon Is an Ashtray, 2020)
5. Logan Ledger – (I’m Gonna Get Over This) Some Day (single, Rounder Records, 2020)
6. Whitney Rose – Believe Me, Angela (single, MCG Recordings, 2020)
7. Amanda Shires – Deciphering Dreams (single, Silver Knife Records, 2020)
8. Khruangbin & Leon Bridges – Texas Sun (Texas Sun EP, Dead Oceans, 2020)
9. David Ramirez – Lover, Will You Lead Me? (single, Sweetworld, 2020)
10. Talitha Ferri – Home (single, Soulpod Collective, 2020)
11. Christian Lee Hutson – Lose This Number (single, Anti, 2020)
12. Isobel Campbell – Counting Fireflies (There is No Other, Cooking Vinyl, 2020)
13. Babehoven – Maybe I’m Bitter (Demonstrating Visile Difference of Height EP, 2020)
14. Gladie – When You Leave the Sun (single, Lame-O Records, 2020)
15. Mo Troper – I Eat (single, Tender Loving Empire, 2020)
16. Dropkick – For Too Long (The Scenic Route, Bobo Integral, 2020)
17. Nada Surf – Crowded Star (Never Not Together, City Slang, 2020)
18. Kyle Forester – Marigold (single, 2020)
19. Ian Ferguson – Dot Reinhardt (Junk EP, County Fair Records, 2020)
20. Arbor Labor Union – Lasso (New Petal Instants, Arrowhawk Records, 2020)
21. Aubrie Sellers – My Love Will Not Change (Far From Home, Soundly, 2020)
22. Lucinda Willians – Man Without a Soul (single, Highway 20 Records, 2020)
23. Frazey Ford – Let’s Start Again (U Kin B the Sun, Arts & Crafts, 2020)
24. David Allen – Trail of Broken Hearts (Regrets and Retribution, 2020)
25. The Dead Tongues – Strangers (single, 2020)
26. Dean Fields – Hell If I Know (single, 2020)
27. Sweet Megg – High On The Mountain (single, Dala/V2, 2020)
28. The Haden Triplets – Who Will You Love (The Family Songbook, Trimeter Records, 2020)
29. Nathaniel Rateliff – All or Nothing (single, Stax Record, 2020)
30. Pokey LaFarge – End of My Rope (single, New West Records, 2020)
31. John Blek – Haunting (The Embers, Celebration / K&F Records, 2020)
32. Chicago Farmer – Dirtiest Uniforms (Flyover Country, 2020)
33. Brian Johannesen – Somewhere Down the Line (Holster Your Silver, 2020)
34. Chatham County Line – Station to Station (single, Yep Roc, 2020)
35. Sammy Brue – Crast Test Kid (single, New West Records, 2020)
36. CJ Stranger – Outlaw (single, 2020)
37. Corinne Sharlet – Hail Mary (Deceiver EP, 2020)
38. Sharon Van Etten – Beaten Down (single, Jagjaguwar, 2020)
39. Lady Lamb – Arizona (single, Ba Da Bing, 2020)
40. Squirrel Flower – Slapback (I Was Born Swimming, Full Time Hobby, 2020)
41. Basia Bulat – Already Forgiven (single, Secret City Records, 2020)
42. The Little Hands of Asphalt – No Reception (single, Fika Recordings, 2020)
43. Muuan Mies – Pispala (rakkautta ilmassa) (Onni, Helmi Levyt, 2020)
44. Rohkeat kuvat – Bussi Nro. 4 (single, Soit Se Silti, 2020)
45. Spanish Love Songs – Optimism (As a Radical Life Choice) (Brave Faces Everyone, Pure Noise Records, 2020)
46. Drive-By Truckers – Slow Ride Argument (The Unraveling, ATO Records, 2020)
47. Possessed By Paul James – In the Dark of the Morning (As We Go Wandering, PPJ Records, 2020)
48. Tre Burt – Moth’s Crossing (Caught it From the Rye, Oh Boy Records, 2020)
49. Son Little – 3rd Eye Weeping (Aloha, Anti, 2020)
50. Phi-Psonics – The Cradle (single, 2020)
Oh and do buy the vinyl/cd/download. Spotify and other streaming services are perfect for these introductory purposes, but try to buy at least the music that matter the most to you
If you are looking this after a week has gone, the embedded Spotify will show the latest playlist. I’ll just update the same playlist because a) if someone wants to follow it, they can just follow that one list and will get a new set of songs each Sunday b) so that I don’t have a trillion of different playlists on my Spotify account.