Another week, another weekly playlist.
A really strong release week once again. However, I was a bit disappointed to learn that the release of the Pony Bradshaw album had been delayed until June. I was really looking forward to that. But good things come to those wait and we did get a new single from the forthcoming album.
But enough about that for now, because lots of fabulous albums did come out. The biggest ones for me were Joshua Ray Walker’s debut album, Bob Sumner’s solo debut and the Better Oblivion Community Center album (collaboration between Phoebe Bridgers and Conor Oberst). Carson McHone’s 2018 album got a UK/Europe release and then there were also excellent albums from Dylan Rodrigue, Leyla McCalla, Mike Krol, Lee Harvey Osmond, Lula Wiles, Ted Drozdowski, William Tyler, Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen.
Some magnificent EPs too. I absolutely love Twain, so the 2 Twain EPs were among the most important releases of the week. Other highly recommended EPs on the list are from Jeffrey Silverstein and A.A. Williams.
All the singles would also be worth namedropping. There were new singles from the forthcoming albums from Pony Bradshaw, Hand Habits, Ryan Adams, Jenny Lewis, Julia Jacklin, Durand Jones & The Indications, Robert Forster, Hayes Carll. The new songs from Evan Cheadle and Caroline Lazar were also so so good. Just like everything really.
The only new Finnish album on the list is the moving debut from Message Field. There’s a really strong run of Finnish singles in the middle of the pack though (J.Matkala, Hullu Ruusu, Pink Chameleons, Lanai, Salainen avaruusohjelma and Painikerho). Is there are need for Finland 2019 playlist by the way? Feels like the top 50 Finnish songs of 2018 has been by far the most popular playlist that I’ve done, so therefore there might be a reason to regularly update one for 2019. Oh well, maybe nobody needs another silly playlist.
As usual, some artists from last week appear with another song. Charlie Shafter, Alice Wallace, Pedro The Lion albums and Caroline Spence singles were on heavy rotation. So were Steve Gunn, Sharon Van Etten, Klasu etc, but I left these out this time, because several pre-album singles had already been on these lists. And well I think even this 40 songs is a bit too much and really don’t want to expand this any further.
OCTA Weekly Playlist Episode #26
1. Joshua Ray Walker – Canyon (Wish You Were Here, State Fair Records, 2019)
2. Bob Sumner – Ticket to Ride (Wasted Love Songs, 2019)
3. Twain – Eileen (New Miami Sound EP, Keeled Scales, 2019)
4. Better Oblivion Community Center – Chesapeake (Better Obvilion Community Center, 2019)
5. Hand Habits – Can’t Calm Down (single, Saddle Creek, 2019)
6. Evan Cheadle – Float on Down the Line (single, 2019)
7. Pony Bradshaw – Didn’t It Rain (single, Rounder Records, 2019)
8. Carson McHone – Lucky (Carousel, Loose Music, 2019)
9. Caroline Spence – Mint Condition (single, Rounder Records, 2019)
10. Ryan Adams – Fuck The Rain (single, PAX AM, 2019)
11. Dylan Rodrigue – Self-Love (Cat’s Game, Bad Paintings / Palomino, 2019)
12. Julia Jacklin – Pressure To Party (single, Transgressive Records, 2019)
13. Caroline Lazar – Chicago (single, Reading Past Bedtime, 2019)
14. Jenny Lewis – Red Bull & Hennessy (single, Warner Bros, 2019)
15. Durand Jones & The Indications – Morning in America (single, Dead Oceans, 2019)
16. Pink Chameleons – Religion (single, Soliti, 2019)
17. Hullu Ruusu – Sääskitulet (single, Helmi Levyt, 2019)
18. J. Matkala – Laululintu (single, Lumpeela julkaisut, 2019)
19. Salainen Avaruusohjelma – Buffalo (single, Nefer Maglev, 2019)
20. Lanai – Follow The Sun (single, 2019)
21. Message Field – Hold Time (single, Soit se silti, 2019)
22. Painikerho – Ennen vanhaan (single, Karhuvaltio Records, 2019)
23. Mike Krol – Power Chords (Power Chords, Merge Records, 2019)
24. Pedro The Lion – Circle K (Phoenix, Polyvinyl / Big Scary Monsters, 2019)
25. Robert Forster – Inferno (Brisbane in Summer) (single, Tapete Records, 2019)
26. Golden Daze – Took a Fall (single, Autumn Tone, 2019)
27. Lee Harvey Osmond – What I Loved About You (Mohawk, Latent Recordings, 2019)
28. Danny Schmidt – Last Man Standing (single, Live Once Records, 2019)
29. Ted Drozdowski – Still Among The Living (Coyote Motel, 2019)
30. Charlie Shafter – Chainsaw (When I Was Yours & You Were Mine, 2019)
31. Leyla McCalla – Heavy As Lead (The Capitalist Blues, Discograph / Jazz Village, 2019)
32. Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen – Lena (If You Can’t Stand the Heat, 2019)
33. Lula Wiles – Nashville, Man (What Will We Do, Smithsonian Folkway Recordings, 2019)
34. Hayes Carll – Be There (single, Dualtone Music, 2019)
35. Alice Wallace – Elephants (Into The Blue, Rebelle Road Records, 2019)
36. Flatland Cavalry – Sleeping Alone (Homeland Insecurity, 2019)
37. Rue Snider – Go Back To Carolina (single, 2019)
38. A.A. Williams – Control (A.A Williams EP, Holy Roar Records, 2019)
39. Jeffrey Silverstein – Given The Light (How On Earth EP, Driftless Recordings, 2019)
40. William Tyler – Not In Our Stars (Goes West, Merge Records, 2019)
Oh and do buy the vinyl/cd/download. Spotify and other streaming services are perfect for these introductory purposes, but try to buy at least the music that matter the most to you
If you are looking this after a week has gone, the embedded Spotify will show the latest playlist. I’ll just update the same playlist because a) if someone wants to follow it, they can just follow that one list and will get a new set of songs each Sunday b) so that I don’t have a trillion of different playlists on my Spotify account.